Gratitude: Painting Adversity into a Lovely Picture

gratitude Gratitude is an art of painting an adversity into a lovely picture. This simple yet profound quote by Kak Sri is the perfect way for me to express my gratitude as Americans begin Thanksgiving week.

The past few years have been especially challenging for many people, including artists. However, through my own personal trials I have learned the importance and the power of giving, for a clenched fist cannot receive anything, but an open hand can hold much’.

For me, keeping an attitude of gratitude throughout the day is now becoming a habit. Giving thanks does not have to wait for bended knee, I find myself giving thanks when I am stuck at a red light or standing in a long line at the grocery store. “Grace isn’t a little prayer you chant before receiving a meal. It’s a way to live.” ~Attributed to Jacqueline Winspear

“You say grace before meals. All right. But I say grace before the concert and the opera, and grace before the play and pantomime, and grace before I open a book, and grace before sketching, painting, swimming, fencing, boxing, walking, playing, dancing and grace before I dip the pen in the ink.” ~G.K. Chesterton

The festival of giving thanks has been attributed to the ending of the harvest season, and the on slot of winter. Ancient cultures gave thanks and gratitude to their god or gods for a successful harvest. The American Pilgrims established Thanksgiving to honor the blessings from God.

“God gave you a gift of 86,400 seconds today. Have you used one to say ‘thank you’?”  ~William A. Ward.

I am grateful for my many blessings of family, friends, social media friends and to my FineArtTips.com readers. I appreciate your continued support of this blog and for your support of the Arts.

Blessings to you all,

PS. I would also enjoy meeting you on Twitter ,  Facebook and Google Plus! Are you curious about my paintings? You can visit my art website to see my paintings. ~Lori

2013-11-28T09:27:18+00:00 November 21st, 2011|Fine Art Tips, General, Inspiration & Motivation, Misc. Articles|16 Comments

1. AnnTran_ November 21, 2011 at 1:16 pm

I LOVE this post! I especially love the G.K. Chesterton excerpt. I am happy to be part of your Twitter family. I am grateful that you are such an awesome editor and friend. I can’t wait until we meet IRL.

Thank YOU Lori.

• Lori McNee November 21, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Hi Ann! What a nice surprise to find you commenting on my blog. I am glad you like this post and I obviously really enjoyed Chesterton’s quote as well. I am grateful for our friendship and look forward to meeting IRL someday soon!

Hugs-

2. Louise Douglas November 21, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Lori, Thank you for all you bring to others. It is a pleasure to be a ‘social media’ friend with you. Happy Thanksgiving, Namaste, Louise

• Lori McNee November 24, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Hello Louise, I am happy to see you here today. Thanks so much for taking time to express your gratitude. I truly love helping others!

3. Greg November 21, 2011 at 2:04 pm

I enjoyed reading this, and ol’ GK Chesterton is serious quality for any post! 🙂 Grace and the art of being gracious are qualities that can never be overstated, and are often sadly lacking in the frantic pace of today’s business. Thanks for the reminder, and Happy Thanksgiving (we’re done with our Canadian one 😉 )

• sandi November 21, 2011 at 4:46 pm

• Lori McNee November 24, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Hi Greg! Yes, I know that our favorite cousins in Canada are Americans too….but, saying the US seemed a bit too official – lol. Thank you for the nice comment. I always enjoy hearing from you. I hope you had a great holiday too.

• Debb Ferris Bates November 24, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Hi Lori, This is a great article AGAIN :).
        I have been trying to figure out a way to incorperate “hand lettering” into my paintings ,(because I still haven’t really found my “nitch”) but not take away from the painting because that was really my first love . (…being a signpainter for many years) I also love “beautiful quotes” also. I read them before bed time and before I start my day here at work…it is a must for me ! I even have some of my own !

I would like to say “we” are all so very blessed to have you here, and greatful to have such a giving person, in all that you do here , on this site for all of us to see and feel… and what I mean by “feel” is a warmth you give us within, ….art does that, no matter if we know you in person, or on line , we all feel like your passion, and it”s wonderful that I found your Fine Art Tips 🙂

Hope to meet you in person some day, but until then I sure appreciate you here !

Hugs,Debb

• Lori McNee November 25, 2011 at 8:03 am

Oh Debb, thanks so much for such a sweet and heartfelt comment. People like you make all this blogging ‘stuff’ worth all the effort! I truly appreciate your support and hope we meet someday too.

I too have considered adding lettering to some of my works. Especially my new encaustics. There are quite a few ways to consider. I like the transfers. What medium are you planning to use for this?

• Debb Ferris Bates November 25, 2011 at 8:22 am

Thanks Lori!
            Most of my paintings are in oils, and if I use my “expensive sign painting brushes”, they can only be used with oil based paint. Hand-lettering brushes work so much better than what artist are used to using. I would be putting the lettering on by “hand”, no stencils here 🙂 It is an art-form to hand-letter and I am so blessed that I got to learn at a very young age….soooo…been freehanding for a while :)…when I slow down abit maybe I will send you a pic of what I have pictured in my head, lol.

Have agreat weekend…”paint the world with happiness”

Hugs,
            Debb
            Ps…your great vibes attract great people :)))

4. Celia November 25, 2011 at 2:42 am

Lori,

beautiful post, I wish you a Happy Thanksgiving. Thank you for teaching me so much!

Celia

• Lori McNee November 25, 2011 at 8:04 am

Hello Celia,

You are very welcome, and THANK YOU for being here and for taking time to share such a nice comment. I appreciate you.

5. Charlotte November 25, 2011 at 6:51 am

Thanks for the reminder, Lori. Blessings to you! I hope you enjoyed a wonderful time of thanksgiving, yourself.

• Lori McNee November 25, 2011 at 10:36 am

Hello Charlotte, and thank you for the nice comment. I had a lovely Thanksgiving with my extended family. I wish you the best.

6. Happiness, Health & Gratitude November 21, 2012 at 4:27 pm

[…] you know there is a direct relationship between happiness, health and gratitude? Gratitude has a positive, measurable effect on your happiness and […]

7. […] Health & Gratitude Gratitude: Painting Adversity into a Lovely Picture 10 Ways to Overcome Mental Blocks & Boost […]