As an artist, you might think that creating a mobile website wouldn’t be all that important. But did you know that by 2013, the number one way people will access the Internet will be via their mobile devices? That means more and more people are going to expect you to have a mobile version of your website.
Here are some step-by-step instructions on how to create a mobile website of your own:
- Ask Your Designer to Install a Browser Re-direct:
- Ask your web designer to install a browser re-direct feature onto your website. That’s a line of code that “sniffs” out whether your visitor is coming from a large regular browser or a smaller mobile browser.
- In many cases, your visitors will be coming from a regular PC, but in some cases, they’ll be coming from a smart phone. With a browser re-direct feature, your website will be able to re-direct mobile users to the pages on your website that were set up to be viewed in a mobile browser.
- Redesign Key Pages: In most cases, you’ll want your mobile website to be a smaller version of your regular website. After all, visitors are typically looking for a few key pieces of information — directions to your store, information about your services, special offers, etc. In our case, we set up the 60 Second Marketer iPhone website with 6 key pages — Videos, Blog, Go Mobile Book, Social Media Glossary, Go Mobile Website and Speaking.
- Install Mobile Plugins for Your Blog: I use WordPress for my blogging platform. It’s a wonderful platform and very easy to use. They have a plugin called WPTouch that reformats the blog so that it’s mobile friendly. It’s a terrific Plugin and very easy to install.
- Follow Google’s Best Practices: Google has provided a list of their best practices for mobile marketing on HowToGoMo.com.
Here they are in a nutshell:
- Keep it Quick
- Simplify Navigation
- Be Thumb-Friendly
- Design for Visibility
- Make it Accessible
- Make it Easy to Convert
- Make it Local
- Make it Seamless
- Use Mobile Site Re-Directs
- Listen, Learn and Iterate (i.e., Execute).
That’s all there is to it. It’s really quite simple. And if you’d like to know more about using mobile marketing to build awareness for your portfolio, visit any major bookseller and ask about my new book, Go Mobile.
Guest author: Jamie Turner, founder of the 60 Second Marketer, and co-author of “How to Make Money with Social Media” and “Go Mobile.” He is also a popular marketing speaker at events, trade shows and corporations around the globe. Jamie spends weekends painting landscapes with water-based oils.
Don’t miss this related post, How to Use Smartphones to Market Your Art
You might find this book helpful – I even wrote a few chapters
|2012 Artist’s & Graphic Designer’s Market|
|NEW LOOK, NEW FEATURES, UPDATED RESOURCES: ALL THE TOOLS YOU NEED TO BUILD A SUCCESSFUL ART CAREER! 2012 Artist’s &…[Read More]|