artist studio

Having an efficient and well organized art studio is important to the productivity of any artist. The other day I was considering buying a new artist’s taboret.

I was ready to place the order, and then I realized that I could easily save money by turning my old TV stand into a new taboret!

Here is how I did it.

Before…

TV stand

The average height for an artist’s taboret is 32″ high. The TV stand needed to be elevated, so I added these 4″ blocks. I then screwed a wheel to the bottom of each block.

artist taboret wheels

Next, I had a large piece of glass cut to fit the top of the TV stand. I prefer to use a glass palette for easy clean up and color mixing. Be sure and ask for 1/4 inch clear glass and have the corners polished so you don’t cut yourself!

I like to mix my paints on a neutral background, so I sprayed the bottom of the glass with two coats of grey paint.

spray paint

Be sure and spray the paint in a well ventilated area. I even wear gloves to protect myself.

spray paint

Once the paint is dry I added little rubber guards to help secure the glass to the top of the taboret.

glass corner

glass guards

After…

art studio

I then filled the open shelf with my paints and other supplies. I love it! My studio is working better than ever now.

I hope this little tip helps you!

**Let’s me on Twitterand on Google Plus, Pinterestand join in the fun at Fine Art Tips Facebook Fan Page! Please checkout my art too LoriMcNee.com – ~Lori

by Lori McNee

Lori McNee is a professional artist who specializes in still life, and landscape oil paintings. She is an exhibiting member of Oil Painters of America, Plein Air Painters of Idaho, serves on the Plein Air Mag Board of Advisors, and is an Artist Ambassador to Arches/Canson/Royal Talens. As the owner of FineArtTips.com, Lori blogs about fine art tips, marketing, and social media advice for the aspiring and professional artist. As a social media influencer, Lori ranks as one of the Top 100 Most Powerful Women on Twitter, has been featured in the Wall Street Journal and named a #TwitterPowerhouse by The Huffington Post. She is a keynote speaker, has been a talk show host for Plum TV, writes for F+W Media publications including Artist’s Magazine, Artist’s & Graphic Designer’s Market, Photographer’s Market. Also, Zero to 100,000: Social Media Tips & Tricks for Small Businesses. Lori is also a member of the CBS Entertainment Tonight & The Insider Tweet Team.

26 thoughts on “How I Turned a TV Stand into an Artist’s Taboret

1. Royah says:

This is super! I like the fact that you’ve reused a TV stand for artistic purposes. I truly think that reusing certain materials is a great way to save money for both established and emerging artists.
    By the way, I have to add that your painting on the easel is stunning!

Royah

2. Janice Tanton says:

Wonderful! I use a rolly butcher-block that we got from IKEA for $59.00 – (very sturdy), and have done exactly the same with the top, although I use plexi-glass and have a couple of them that interchange. Underneath, I’ve got some baskets that I also picked up at IKEA that fit perfectly underneath in the two shelves. It’s great to have a look around and be able to repurpose things, save space and make them your own.

3. Adrienne says:

Okay I admit it, I’ve never heard of the term “taboret” before. But what a truly AWESOME idea! Thanks for sharing it!

4. Donna Ham says:

I just love repurposing old items that I already own and making them useful again. Your idea is very cool! I use a refrigerated wine cooler that my son gave me a few years ago as a place to store my glass paint palettes. Works great in my home studio to keep my paints fresh! Hmmmm, maybe I need a taboret, too.

• Lori McNee says:

Hello Donna, I am catching up on comments this week…sorry for the belated reply. Glad this post inspired you! I’d love to see your glass palettes.

Happy painting-

• Lori McNee says:

Hello Abby, thanks for your comment! Isn’t it interesting that that word keeps popping up in your life now? Glad you enjoyed this post and learning more about taborets.

5. Pingback: 25th March 2012 | The SuperSlinger Site

• Lori McNee says:

Hello Cristi,

Yes, I am member of Oil Painters of America. You must submit works for acceptance into the club. Plein Air Painters of Idaho is a group of outdoor painters who live in Idaho. I hope this helps. Thanks for the nice comment.

6. Pingback: Eco Friendly Art Brands and Materials

7. Pingback: The Highland Plein Air Artist Palette by New Wave

8. Pingback: Enjoying My Artist Palette By New Wave

9. Pingback: Found Objects - Finding Creative Possibilities in People, Places and Things

10. stephanie kirsten hansen says:

Love the taboret. I’ve favourited this post because I might well make one for myself in the near future. Thanks so much for sharing. You have a terrific blog. I reference it frequently and always click on your Twitter posts. I retweet your posts nearly every day as they are of use to so many artists I know.

• Lori McNee says:

Hi Stephanie, I really love that little homemade taboret too and I use it every time I paint in my studio. I hope you can find the right piece of furniture to help you make your own. Thanks for your nice words and for your RTs! What is your Twitter handle?