Top 10 Ways to Improve Your Twitter Image & Following

With the popularity of the new guest article I wrote, Top 10 Ways to Improve Your Twitter Image & Following for The Top 10 Blog, (it’s even been re-published on the popular blog, HolyKaw.Alltop.com) I thought I better share it with my own readers!

In the article below, see if you are putting your best tweet forward. Do you measure up to these 10 tips for brushing up your Twitter image and following?

Top 10 Ways to Improve Your Twitter Image & Following

Twitter is the fastest way to develop your brand identity and professional image. We have all heard, not to ‘judge a book by its cover’, but on Twitter ‘ your cover, aka profile, IS judged – and very quickly!

This is why it is important to understand how to make your Twitter page interesting and eye catching.

1. Your Twitter Name

• This little trick really worked for me. Your name is the first thing that people will see on Twitter. Use the name you want to represent your brand.
  • For example: When I first started on Twitter I used @lorimcnee, but quickly changed my name to @lorimcneeartist and gained more loyal followers rapidly. It is easier for people to associate me as an artist this way.  Also, when people search ‘artist’, my name appears.

2. Profile Picture/Avatar

• Recent studies found that your profile picture is more than just a pretty face.
  • Two separate studies concluded that one’s avatar affects how a message is received, and also how individuals interpret it.
  • The higher the friendliness and attractiveness of the avatar, the more intimate people are willing to be with strangers.
  • It is not a rule, but I suggest using an image of yourself rather than a business logo.

3. Profile/Bio

• The profile is your big branding opportunity to make your unique mark. This is your virtual personality!
  • Choose your profile words wisely. This is a great opportunity to brand yourself and/or your business. These few words will say a lot to the world about who and what you are.
  • Make it ‘catchy’, this description helps people immediately make the choice to follow you or not.
  • Also acustom page is a good way to grab attention.
  • Here’s a tip: Once you have chosen your Twitter name and your profile page is complete, add yourself to the free Twitter Directory, WeFollow. This way, you can track your ranking, status and influence on Twitter.  I am ranked as one of the most influential people within my niche because I registered.

To read 7 other great tips, please see the full story at: The Top 10 Blog

Some other related posts:

5 Reasons Why Artists Need Social Media & Eye Opening Stats to Back it Up!

How to Reach Beyond Your Niche on Twitter

Create a Niche Market for Your Art in a Sea of Artists

Social Media’s Top Stars Share Their Tips on Twitter

10 Tips to Bring Visitors  to Your Art Fair Booth or Open Studio

14 Art Business Tips from the Pros on Twitter

1. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Tony Hastings, Katana Barnett. Katana Barnett said: Top10Blog: Top 10 Ways to Improve Your Twitter Image & Following http://bit.ly/9SvVnt #art #arttips […]

2. John McFaul November 13, 2010 at 2:24 pm

That does it, no more netflix or guilty pleasure tv. Need to notch up time management ability. Thanks Lori, very motivational!

• Lori McNee November 13, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Haha…well, I am glad to have motivated you! Social media is a lot of fun for artists. It is more productive than TV, but also more addictive – watch out!

• linda November 14, 2010 at 5:24 am

Yikes! Addictive? The computer sucks up way too much time as it is. I don’t have a Twitter account yet but have been told it would be a good idea for my energy healing business. I’m a little concerned at yet ANOTHER computer time drain. While having large numbers hanging on your every word (OK, probably a bit of an exageration) is nice, does it really translate into business?

Glad I read your tips first, love the name idea, glad I saw it before setting up an account.

• Lori McNee November 14, 2010 at 10:32 pm

Hi Linda,

I agree…time management is key, and I am still working on that! Here I sit on my computer, when I should be painting – lol! However, it is business…and it is a lot more fun than it used to be.

Good luck!

3. Erin Al-Mehairi November 18, 2010 at 11:10 pm

Great article and ideas!

4. Deborah Younglao November 19, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Hi Lori – Thanks for these tips! I recognize the potential of twitter.. still trying to figure out how to fit it into my schedule.

I do use my name as my twitter handle and I like the idea of adding ‘art’ onto it. Problem is, my name is already so long (@deborahyounglao), and I know you’re supposed to keep it short to leave room for RT’s and @mentions. Would just my initial (@dyounglaoart) be enough of my name? Using Deb is also a possibility but I hate being called Deb (although I suppose I COULD get over that)! I’d appreciate your thoughts!

Thanks,
    Deborah

5. Kevin Timothy March 11, 2011 at 11:25 am

You’re totally correct about the photo/avatar. As much as I try not to judge a Twitter member before I follow, there’s something about that picture that plays a big part in my decision. More often that not the type of picture is a good indicator of how much value a person can become to you. I particularly watch who I follow (based on the pic) because those who are thinking about following YOU may check out who you’re following and make a crucial determination to keep on searching. Keeping it professional is key!

• Lori McNee March 14, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Hello Kevin-

I am glad you agree! Thanks for taking time out of your busy day to comment here. I really appreciate your insight, and yes, ‘keeping it professional IS key’!!

6. Is Blogging Dead for Artists? May 21, 2012 at 12:02 pm

[…] blogging dead for artists? Nowadays, so many artists are using sites like Facebook and Google Plus or even Twitter for their micro blogging, and art promotion. Lately, there is a lot buzz going around that blogging […]

7. […] to Sell Art on Twitter – One Artist’s Way BufferMost online artists use Twitter, Facebook and other forms of Social Media in order to build their brand identity, and to drive […]

8. How to Reach Beyond Your Niche on Twitter November 23, 2012 at 10:24 pm