Save Studio Space! How to Make Your Own Painting Racks

My studio space is limited, so I really like this spacing saving tip I learned from my Facebook artist friend.

Networking with other artists is just one of the benefits of Social Media sites such as Twitter and Facebook. Recently, I met Marc Hanson on Facebook. Marc is not only a talented artist, but a ingenious one at that. Marc’s simple studio space saving idea for storing small paintings and drying them too…

By guest artist/author Marc Hanson:

“I thought that you might be wondering what one does with all of the paintings. When I started thinking about doing this in late March of 2009, I thought about what I would do with all of those panels once they had wet paint on them and needed somewhere to dry and stay safe (from the cat… Sargent). I went to a the music store and measured the DVD wire racks. The tallest one holds 50, the shorter two hold 32 or so. They work out perfectly and would even work for 6×8’s if you put them in there the narrow way. There are about 95 paintings in this photo.

P.S. I don’t know if it shows in that pic, but those things have a slight backward leaning angle to them. Keeps those panels more secure into the rack.”

"Trout Rising" ©2010 Marc Hanson

This idea will be great for my small plein air paintings! I plan to make my own storage racks – thanks for the tip Marc!

You might like to read:

Water Soluble Oils: Facts, Tips & Why I Use Them

Tips for Painting Water and Reflections

The Best of 2010: Articles on Art, Marketing & Social Media

How to Make Your Own Inexpensive Small Painting Panels

Painting & Playing in Provence, France

Plein Air Painting with Utah’s Finest

How to Use Good Reference Photos for Landscape Painting

How to Build a Pochade Box from a Cigar Box

Survival Tips for the Outdoor Painter & Enthusiast

How to Interpret the Landscape in Paint

1. Mark May 4, 2010 at 1:46 pm

That’s a great idea. Now if I can only find CD racks that can handle 18″ x 24″ discs! 🙂

• Lori McNee May 4, 2010 at 6:21 pm

Mark, if you find any that size…let me know! lol

2. Kay Schneider July 23, 2010 at 12:14 pm

I used to dry my large wet etchings on pizza cooling racks. I bought the racks second hand at an old resturant supply store… They work with larger wet panels too.

• Lori McNee July 24, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Great idea, Kay. Artists are always so resourceful. Thanks for sharing this tip…now where to find some old pizza cooling racks…hmmm.
      Best – Lori

3. JoAnnAssal September 8, 2010 at 5:00 pm

I have just started doing wet on wet oil painting a couple of months ago. Now I have eight paintings (40×50 cm – almost 16×20 inch). I must leave my apartment for a week during renovations and have been frantically looking for an idea on how to store my paintings. Someone built a rack using pegboard on metal shelves and dowel rods to separate his paintings. I thought that was a good idea but for my small number I thought that I could use two laundry baskets and just slide the dowel rods through the holes of the baskets. It’s a temporary solution for a short time, but I need new laundry baskets anyway. I leave the paintings in my store room/laundry room.

I liked your idea of the CD racks, but I haven’t painted anything that small yet.

Well, it was such a long search to find any ideas at all that I hope someone will benefit from this one.

Best wishes, Jo Ann

• Lori McNee September 9, 2010 at 10:12 am

JoAnn, thanks for sharing your tips for drying larger paintings. Can you take a picture of this set-up and I will write a post about you and your drying rack! Thanks again for sharing. I hope to hear from you…

4. Blue Sky Red Earth Virtual Gallery July 8, 2011 at 8:48 am

I haven`t done any looking or measuring but it occurs to me that some things made to store the old style LPs may work for larger paintings. I may still have a storage box full of LP`s somewhere but some careful looking at backwoods thrift stores may turn up a find. I`m thinking an old storage cabinet for LP`s maybe. I seem to remember they were 12 inches but I may be wrong.

• Lori McNee July 10, 2011 at 2:30 pm

That sounds like a great idea. Thanks for sharing it with us.