How to Pack Your Paintings for Shipping

The subject of  ‘packing & shipping’ art is a much overlooked, but an important topic. We all go to the trouble of creating great artwork, so we need to make sure it that we pack it well so it gets ‘there’ safely!

In this video I explain the proper way to safely pack a painting,  purchase the right insurance and what to do if your art is damaged.

Best – Lori

Check out my other helpful videos!

…and articles:

Newsletter Art Marketing Tips That Work!

Commissioned Art – Tips to make it a Success!

10 tips to Bring Visitors to Your Open Studio or Art Fair Booth

Learn the Two Biggest Mistakes Artists Make with Social Media

One Simple and Effective Way to Show the World You are a Pro

5 Small Business Mistakes To Avoid

1. This post was mentioned on Twitter by Annick McKenzie. Annick McKenzie said: RT @lorimcneeartist: How to Safely Pack Your Paintings for Shipping ..positive tip..let s ship paintings!

• Lori McNee April 3, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Hi Annick, I always am happy to see a ReTweet of my articles on Twitter. I appreciate it! Lori

2. Dee Lessard April 21, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Hi Lori, I have spent a bit of time going through your web sit and looking at all your tips. I have been a painter for about 8 years and appreciated watching and reading many tips I actually have caught throughout these past several years. But I always look to see if there’s something more I can learn. One such tip was in using untempered hardboard vs, tempered. I didn’t even know there was a diff. It turns out I was using the wrong one. Thankfully I haven’t done too many! Anyways, This article about packing & insuring your paintings….I found that most common carriers such as fedex, ups, will insure for the value you say it is but they will not necessarily pay you that value especially over $100. even if you claim the value is much more. (Unless they changed it in the last year!) I would like to know who you use and if there is a place outside of these places to insure your work. Thanks!

• Lori McNee April 27, 2010 at 10:43 am

That is a great question, Dee. I live in a smalll mountain town where my choice in shipping carriers is very limited. So, I use UPS or FedEx most of the time and for smaller works USPS.
      I believe $100 insurance comes with the shipping services at UPS, but I always pay extra to insure for the ‘wholesale’ value of the painting. For instance, if a painting sell for $4000, I insure it for $2000. It is a wise thing to do because I have had a few paintings destroyed in shipping in the past – not often but it does happen.

I hope that helped. Thanks for commenting-

3. Saimai October 20, 2010 at 6:13 am

Hi Lori, can i roll my painting and ship it? will it damage the painting? (new artist)

Thanks..

• Lori McNee October 21, 2010 at 8:52 am

Yes, if the canvas is dry. If you are rolling a painting on paper, be sure not to crease it as you roll. I like to roll finished works with a sheet of ‘glassine’ paper as a protective cover. Then be sure and use a heavy tube and tape the ends for extra security.
      I hope this helps!

4. mina December 13, 2010 at 7:17 am

Hi Lori
    I’m new in the art business field.

We are a company that want to start its e- commerce (buying and selling artworks through internet)

We will work with FedEX as a shipping carrier.

I need to know everything that can help me in packing, for example when FedEX come to pick up a painting from our store i will give it to them with or without packing, if yes what material type and steps i need to follow for packing (for both framed and unframed painting)

Thanks a lot and wish u a great day

Mina

• Lori McNee January 6, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Hi Mina-

I do not know the specifics of FedEX or any other shipper. It depends on your town, etc. You will need to contact your local store for the proper information for your area.

Hope this helps-

• mina April 16, 2011 at 2:19 am

Thank u Lori, i really appreciate your response.

I will contact FedEX to arrange with them, but can u give me the general or basic steps to protect our paintings while they are on the store.

What material type and steps i need to follow for storing (both framed and unframed painting).

We just bought two framed (without class) oil paintings and i want to put them on the store, is it enough to wrap them with a bubble wrap? or i need something else to put it first between the painting and the bubble wrap?

Thanks in advance and sorry for bothering u.

Mina.

5. Terri April 1, 2012 at 6:09 pm

I’m really new to this. I have been an artist all my life. You tips and links on your web site are very helpful. I intend to sell my own work one day on my own website.

• Lori McNee April 23, 2012 at 11:56 am

Glad this post was helpful to you Terri. Congrats on starting your art business. I hope you can learn some more great information for this site.

My best-

6. The Stone Sculpting Process July 27, 2012 at 4:00 pm

[…] Eight: If it is a commissioned sculpture for an out-of-town customer, careful packing might be required. If it is a large sculpture, I may need to build a crate and make […]

7. […] How to Pack Your Paintings for Shipping (Fine Art Tips) […]